Sausages with green lentils and tomato salsa
This might look like a lot of ingredients and a scary amount of work but it is worth it… it’s delicious!
for the salsa
- 8 good quality sausages (wheat free if necessary)
- 500g purple sprouting broccoli
- juice of ½ a lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
for the lentils
- olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 1-2 small dried red chillies, crumbled
- 2 tblsp red wine vinegar, plus extra for dressing
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- 400g Puy lentils or lenticchie di Castelluccio
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped, stalks reserved
- red wine or sherry vinegar
- small handful fresh thyme tips
- First make the salsa. Put a little olive oil in a pan, add the onion and sliced garlic, the cinnamon and chilli and fry gently for 10 minutes. Turn the heat up and add the red wine vinegar. Turn the heat down to low and add the tomatoes, chopped. Simmer slowly for half an hour.
- Preheat the over to 200 C, gas 6. Put the lentils into a pot, cover them with water and add the 2 whole garlic cloves, the bay leaf and the tied-up parsley stalks. Simmer for around 20 minutes, making sure there’s enough liquid covering the lentils. Toss the sausages in a little olive oil and put them in a roasting tray in the over for 25 minutes or until golden. Steam the broccoli for a few minutes when the sausages come out of the oven. When done, toss the broccoli in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice and some extra virgin olive oil.
- Once the lentils are cooked, remove the parsley stalks and bay leaf and pour away most of the water from the pan. Mash the garlic with a spoon, mix in with the lentils and dress them using 4 tblsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 or 2 tblsp good vinegar. Add the finely chopped parsley leaves, mix and season.
- Tip the lentils in serving bowls. Remove the cinnamon stick from the salsa, season well to taste and spoon it over the lentils. Place 2 sausages, either sliced or whole, on top and sprinkle with the thyme. Serve with a big bowl of steaming broccoli.
(Recipe from Jamie Oliver’s ‘Jamie’s Italy’)