- Cut down on refined carbohydrates (white bread, rice and pasta) and chose complex carbs instead (brown rice, wholemeal bread and wholemeal or chickpea pasta) – the whole-grains are rich in B vitamins and the extra fibre will help you feel full for longer.
- Eat plenty of fresh veg and fruit – for fibre and antioxidants.
- Eat protein with each meal (meat, eggs, pulses, yogurt) – to help balance your blood sugar and keep you feeling full for longer.
- Always eat breakfast – to start your metabolism going.
- Drink plenty of fluids (water, diluted juice, herbal teas) – helps suppress appetite.
Effective weight loss
For effective weight loss, the best way of shedding extra pounds is not to diet… they don’t work in the long term. This is because when you suddenly restrict the number of calories you eat your body will think there’s a famine and to survive this perceived famine will slow your metabolic rate to protect precious energy reserves. The result is that when you stop dieting your body will store as much as possible in case of future famine – you will regain all the lost weight, and perhaps more – and make losing weight even harder in the future. The ideal diet is the one you’ll eat for the rest of your (hopefully) long and healthy life…